We can surely say that modern science and the efforts of the most skilled doctors can turn the dream into a concrete reality. This is evident in the idea of the smart capsule or the programmed capsule for weight loss, which achieves the difficult formula for overweight people.
The swallowable gastric balloon capsule achieves distinguished results in weight loss, and it doubles your benefit from following a healthy diet; Without the need for any surgical procedure or anesthesia. You just swallow a pill and the wonderful impact of losing excess body weight begins!
We are about to know the most important aspects concerning the programmed capsule.
What is the programmed capsule for weight loss? And how it works?
The programmed capsule is similar in size to a regular multivitamin capsule or slightly larger. It contains a very small balloon attached to a tiny tube that is used to inflate the balloon once in the stomach.
During your visit to Dr. Tarek Abouzeid, you swallow the programmed capsule with a glass of water.
Once in the stomach, the capsule quickly decomposes. Then the doctor inflates the balloon inside the capsule with a specific medical solution through the fine tube connected to the capsule; Then he pulls out the tube quickly and smoothly.
²² The smart capsule has the same principle of the intragastric balloon, as the balloon is placed inside the stomach, occupying a large space of it; Reducing the free volume of the stomach that can receive food. This leads to a faster fullness, eating less food, and thus losing weight.
²² The doctor ensures that the programmed capsule is placed properly in the stomach before inflating the balloon inside; Either by using an X-ray device or by observing precisely defined markings located on the tiny tube connected to the swallowable gastric balloon capsule.
²² The balloon inside the programmed capsule contains a ‘valve’ that prevents leakage from the balloon for 4 months; This valve then decomposes spontaneously to release the capsule contents out of the stomach through the usual pathway to be excreted with stool naturally and safely.
Once the doctor makes sure that the procedure is completed correctly, you can go home immediately and practice your daily activities.
A frequently asked question … Does the programmed capsule suit me?
You can consult Dr. Tarek Abouzeid whether the programmed capsule is suitable for you.
Generally, you become a candidate for using the programmed capsule in these cases:
- If your BMI is greater than 27 kg/m2 or you are 15 to 20 kg more than the ideal weight. And attempts to reduce weight by conventional methods alone have not worked for you; Especially with the presence of comorbid diseases, such as type 2 diabetes, hypertension, etc.
- If your BMI is between 30 & 40 kg/m2 and you find it difficult to have bariatric surgery, especially when you are prepared to stick to the nutritional and exercise program following the smart capsule use.
- The programmed capsule can be used to lose an adequate amount of weight before undergoing vital surgery to decrease the possibility of complications associated with large excess body weight.
- It can be used for elderly people, children, and adolescents who can’t have bariatric surgery.
To benefit from the programmed capsule, you must have:
- No previous bariatric surgery.
- No stomach infections or ulcers.
- No sugar or soft drinks addiction.
The benefits of the programmed gastric balloon capsule (smart capsule)
The programmed capsule has the benefits of an intragastric balloon as:
- Quick satiety and less hunger … Thus, losing nearly half of the excess body weight during a few months; Resulting in a positive impact on mental and physical health.
Studies indicate that 89% of patients continue to maintain weight loss throughout the year following the programmed capsule placement.
- Marked improvement in the treatment of obesity-related diseases. In some cases, the patient becomes able to stop taking medications.
- It is a non-surgical procedure, that could obviate the need for bariatric surgery later on.
Advantages of the programmed capsule over the intragastric balloon include:
- No need for an endoscopy to place or remove it; This makes it safer.
- No need for sedation or local anesthetic.
- The programmed capsule is made of a biocompatible material, making it safer, non-irritating, and non-allergic to the stomach.
- It takes less time to place it, approximately 10 minutes.
- It decomposes spontaneously after 4 months and comes out with feces normally.
Are there complications for a programmed capsule?
This procedure is quite safe, but occasionally few people may experience abdominal discomfort, nausea, or vomiting after the programmed capsule placement. In most cases, these symptoms are well controlled with the medication prescribed by your doctor.
After the programmed capsule placement… What’s next?
The programmed capsule is a very important step towards ideal weight and healthy life; Followed by the step of applying the medical team’s instructions regarding your flexible diet and fitness exercises.
Our goal at the center goes beyond just losing weight to target improving health and implementing an integrated system that helps you enjoy a better life.