The Multidisciplinary Team at our Center
Bariatric surgery is a major step for many obese people to lose weight, and to treat the metabolic syndrome related diseases such as hypertension and type 2 diabetes. And since patients need to adjust their diet, physical activity, and lifestyle after surgery to ensure a durable weight loss, and improved health & quality of life; This is not just the surgeon’s job.
This is the latest global trend in obesity treatment, which we follow at our center. We are pursuing an “integrated program for a healthy weight loss” through the cooperation of a multidisciplinary medical team.
We do not limit ourselves to performing bariatric surgeries only. We perform procedures such as sleeve gastrectomy, gastric bypass, intragastric balloon, smart capsule, etc., which we consider a crucial step on the track of weight reduction and healthy life, followed by steps that are no less important.
Medical care at the center include:
- Step One: Careful evaluation of the obese patient condition and the distribution of body fat, etc., using the most accurate and up-to-date measurements.
Also, check-up tests to diagnose any complications related to obesity; So that we can start treatment properly and choose the most appropriate procedure for treating obesity and achieving the best results in coordination with the specialist physician; These tests could include:
- Testing the blood level of glucose, cholesterol, and triglycerides.
- Liver function tests.
- Thyroid function tests.
- Step Two: After evaluation and careful patient preparation, bariatric surgery or a non-surgical procedure is performed by the surgeon Tarek Abouzeid; Who is a member of the International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders (IFSO) with his long professional experience and thousands of successful surgeries, besides the academic experience and the publication of several pieces of research in international peer-reviewed scientific journals, with the assistance of his qualified medical team (surgical staff, anesthesiologist, and nursing team).Ä We are committed to applying the latest techniques (regarding surgery, anesthesia, pain relief, and enhanced recovery after surgery ‘ERAS’ protocol). We also use the most accurate, the safest, and the most advanced instruments; In addition to catching up with the recent bariatric surgery updates to fulfill our role with honesty and mastery.
- Step Three: The follow-up and health care before and after any procedure, according to the patient’s need, with:
- Specialist Dietitian; Who sets the appropriate diet, and follows the weight loss process to ensure it is attained at a healthy rate. He also observes the patients’ needs of food, vitamins, and nutritional supplements, each according to his status.
Besides coordinating with the surgeon to provide flexible and diverse diet options that ensure achieving a healthy lifestyle without feeling deprived.
- Physiotherapist; To work on regaining fitness through specific exercises. Also providing important tips that help to improve health, tighten the skin, and strengthen muscles as much as possible to avoid the appearance of excess or saggy skin after weight loss.
** Although some people who lose a significant excess body weight may have to undergo skin tightening procedure (such as tummy tuck ‘abdominoplasty’, arm lift, or total body lift), adherence to physical therapy instructions and the established program helps a great deal in avoiding the need to have any of these procedures.
- Undoubtedly, psychological & psychiatric factors play a critical role in obesity treatment. Indeed, some psychiatric problems like anxiety and depression may be a major cause of obesity.
Also, many psychiatric issues that cause eating disorders, and thus weight gain, have been diagnosed, including Binge Eating Disorder, Bulimia Nervosa and Night Eating Syndrome… and other problems that may hinder the process of weight loss if we do not pay attention to it to come up with an effective solution.
From this standpoint, we are very keen to provide the psychological support that most of us assuredly need in light of the daily stresses and challenges we all face. This is done with the help of a mental health professional when needed, to treat the root cause of obesity, reaching the highest levels of readiness and preparation to excess weight loss and moving steadily towards a better quality of life, without looking back.